[Diy_efi] newbie questions (m)

Daniel R. Nicoson A6intruder
Fri May 13 15:45:04 UTC 2005

I'm surprised that you don't get a little better mileage with the 325.

I've got a 1998 528i with the 2.8L six.  On long highway trips I get 28-29
mpg and that's "leading the pack", not easy driving.  I get 25-26 with my
normal daily driving 22 miles each way to work, 50% hwy, 50% city.

I use 89 octane, $2 autolight spark plugs, completely stock car, BMW
synthetic engine oil.

I think these cars are pretty efficient already, don't really know how much
more you will be able to squeeze out.

What do you feel is possible?

I know tires are probably the biggest difference I have seen.  I loose a
good 2 mpg in the winter with my winter tires versus the summer tires.

Who burns chips for these cars?  Are you sure they will really get you
better mileage?  The factories really do a pretty good job of calibration.

I tune my 1994 Mustang GT electronically, full control with a TwEECer.  I'll
tell you fro experience there, its hard to beat the factory for overall
drivability.  I've heard a lot of complaints on discussion groups from
people that have bought chips from "experts".

Let us know what you come up with.

Dan Nicoson