[Diy_efi] Measuring Pulse Width/Duty Cycle of an Injector?

Daniel R. Nicoson A6intruder
Mon May 23 15:42:17 UTC 2005

To measure the pulse width of both a hi impedance and lo impedance (P&H)
injector I would take the signal between the injector and the computer's
transistor.  Use a comparator to create a nice clean square wave to measure.

For a hi impedance injector you will see the voltage go from 12-14 volts
down to 0 - .6 volts as the injector opens.  The voltage will stay there
until the PW is over going back up.

For the low impedance, you will see the voltage drop as described above and
then go back up to 8 volts or so for the hold portion.

I would use a comparator to create your square wave.  Set the reference so
the comparator trips around 10 volts, this will ensure you can then measure
both hi & low impedance injector pulswidths.

Go to Digi-Key.com and download the data sheet for a LM398.  This is a
sample & hold chip.  I used two in series to create a very nice steady
output on my project.  The data sheet will have example circuits to help you
figure the rest of the circuit out.  You will also need negative voltage
supply for use with this chip, I used the ICL7660.

The 8 & 10 volts mentioned above are approximate.  You may find starting
voltages approaching these values (hope not) and that may or may not be a
problem for you.

Also, be aware of the inductive spike as the injectors close or the P & H
goes from Peak to hold.  Your circuit may need some diode therapy to deal
with these.  I used a combination of high resistance on the input from the
injector line and some diodes to keep the spike out of my circuit.

I have a write up on my sequential secondary injection system on my web site
www.myo-p.com  I used three channels of feed back on that circuit.

Have fun.

Dan Nicoson