[Diy_efi] Measuring Pulse Width/Duty Cycle of an Injector?

Mike niche
Tue May 24 06:13:50 UTC 2005

Ok Chaps,

First sorry for the apparent obtuse meandering of my post on the subject,
I might put this down to a couple of stubbies of tooheys dark stout or
plain mental laziness - cant recall or admit to either exclusively ;-)

What I'm saying is:-

a.  I'm continually pleased with diversity and people articulating
     alternate solutions to technical problems.

b.  I'm amused (a little) that the technology used to handle a
     non linearity is developed initially to circumvent non linearities.

c.  There is nothing wrong with using an opamp, they are cheap
     and readily available but dont help us think of value of first principles.

d.  There are simpler methods one would sensibly gravitate to in
     a commercial environment which one might not bother with
     because the thinking of using an 'out of the book' circuit such
     as a comparator is mostly done for us, so we dont have to think
     that much... ;)

Eg.

People happily use opamps and the derivative comparators, to
deal with non linearities such as the P & H issue listed recently.

I find it interesting to recall that there has been considerable
development of opamps over many years so they can provide a
function which is as linear as possible yet the opamps themselves
use a huge number of non linear devices internally - nicely arranged in
combinatorial fashion to cancel out as many of these non linearities
as possible.

Yet, if we can focus on one or two of the internal devices such
as the diode or transistor we can sidestep the complex opamp
and use the non linear device directly, derivative of the diode
being the light emitting diode in the form of an opto.

However, since devices like opamps are the black boxes and are
economical I also find it ironic there are hundreds of non linear
devices inside the opamp which makes it linear and the designer
circumvents this to put the opamp into the task of a comparator
which is hugely non linear but ".. theres nothing wrong with that..."

Its the overall above paradigm I am chuckling at and admittedly
not articulating that well in my last post or even this one - maybe...

cest la vi

Mike