[Diy_efi] Re: open loop maps MAY cause damage.

Gianmarco Rizzo BE/EAS gianmarco.rizzo
Tue May 31 10:31:37 UTC 2005

this is totally wrong. all applications i have seen use O2 correction only at part throttle cruise. above that open loop is restored and a/f ratios close to 12:1 or less are used. using a WBO2 can clearly show that.

at light throttle cruise or partial load anyway is impossible to melt a piston by running lean, even extremely lean.

of course, a bad remapping can do any sort of damage, but that can hardly be blamed on manifacturers, O2 sensors or closed loop strategies.

besides, the changes in operating conditions due to wear are tiny, i dare say only a few %

gm