[Diy_efi] Starting and Charging

Dustin Lof bubblesjrtwo
Tue Nov 1 03:22:31 UTC 2005

If it is The original alternator to the 86 it should
have a two wire connector, fairly large flat terminals
side by side, plus a large insulated stud on the back
of the alternator.  It is called the output circuit.
The insulated stud goes to the battery, one of the
terminals in the two wire connector should go to key
on power, if you dont use a light bulb and have it on
the same circuit as your ignition then you need to
install a diode inline, without the diode the
regulator will feed current back to the switch and the
engine will not shut off.(It is grouned internally
through a resistor in the regulator until the
alternator begins to produce current then it switches
to current, to shut the light off) My projects use a
diode because they use a single pole toggle switch for
an ignition switch. This is called the exciter
circuit.  Most regulators function fine without any
resistor whatsoever.  The second wire needs to go to
the large stud on the back of the alternator, some
factory harnesses run this wire to the stud on the
firewall this is where the regulator senses the output
voltage, if this wire is not there the regulator is
unable to sense the output voltage and regulate said
voltage.  This is called the sense circut. I am not
sure off the top of my head which one is what,
tomorrow in the light I can go look, and draw a
scematic if you need. I hope this helps   Dustin Lof