[Diy_efi] [ot] Oil pressure/cranking success :o)

Mike niche
Tue Nov 1 03:43:15 UTC 2005

Hi chaps,

My last off topic post on this subject, well unless we get interesting
sidetracks...

Have an old oil pump off a n/a which has a little less flow but same
principle as mine, as Phil pointed out yesterday it does look like the oil
viscosity is needed to seal well enough so it can then suck past
any air in the oil fill pipe and get to the oil. So I needed to back fill
with some pressure to purge as much air as possible in the pump
and get some oil in between those gears.

The service manual has a nice diagram of the galleries, using the
oil filter feed I inserted a hose 20cm into the gallery and led this to
a plastic jar full of oil through a tight hole in the lid. Another hole in
the lid fed from the workshop compressor and gurgled about a pint
of oil through. The hole in the block didnt seal all that well but it managed
to be enough as I could hear gurgling from the sump and yeah that
plastic vaseline jar sure swelled like it was going to burst !

When I worked on the bottom end (in the car) I didnt take out the
oil pump or expose the gears, I expected there would still be some
oil in there even after a burst of compressed air from one of those thin
hand nozzles and it was only around 90psi for a few seconds,
apparently that was enough to displace sufficient oil so it wouldnt
self prime :(

So then cranking it up - it reached 250Kpa oil pressure after 11 sec
of cranking - you cant imagine how relieved I was, so had a couple
of beers, remnants of the pizza  and watched Ep 6 of the apprentice
at 1am <sigh>

So thanks for all the feedback, here was I thinking that the service manual
didnt say anything about priming and looking at the gears it seemed like
they should self prime - but yeah Phil pointed out they need viscous sealing
that deflected me from opening it up (relief) and working out how to get
oil back in there at enough pressure as I really didnt want to take the
sump off again.  Just have to refit a few hoses,
plugs etc and watch that starting current over the next few weeks.
Oh and find a new oil pressure sender, the three I have were all way
out and all read about 3x too high - so have a gauge in engine bay there
for moment...

Thanks guys, problem solved.

Regards from

Mike
Perth, Western Australia
VL Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
Twin tyres for most sedans, trikes and motorcycle sidecars
http://niche.iinet.net.au