[Diy_efi] [ot] Oil pressure/cranking success :o)

Don Sauman don.sauman
Tue Nov 1 06:10:34 UTC 2005

Mike wrote:

>Hi chaps,
>
>My last off topic post on this subject, well unless we get interesting
>sidetracks...
>
>Have an old oil pump off a n/a which has a little less flow but same
>principle as mine, as Phil pointed out yesterday it does look like the oil
>viscosity is needed to seal well enough so it can then suck past
>any air in the oil fill pipe and get to the oil. So I needed to back fill
>with some pressure to purge as much air as possible in the pump
>and get some oil in between those gears.
>
>The service manual has a nice diagram of the galleries, using the
>oil filter feed I inserted a hose 20cm into the gallery and led this to
>a plastic jar full of oil through a tight hole in the lid. Another hole in
>the lid fed from the workshop compressor and gurgled about a pint
>of oil through. The hole in the block didnt seal all that well but it managed
>to be enough as I could hear gurgling from the sump and yeah that
>plastic vaseline jar sure swelled like it was going to burst !
>
>When I worked on the bottom end (in the car) I didnt take out the
>oil pump or expose the gears, I expected there would still be some
>oil in there even after a burst of compressed air from one of those thin
>hand nozzles and it was only around 90psi for a few seconds,
>apparently that was enough to displace sufficient oil so it wouldnt
>self prime :(
>
>So then cranking it up - it reached 250Kpa oil pressure after 11 sec
>of cranking - you cant imagine how relieved I was, so had a couple
>of beers, remnants of the pizza  and watched Ep 6 of the apprentice
>at 1am <sigh>
>
>So thanks for all the feedback, here was I thinking that the service manual
>didnt say anything about priming and looking at the gears it seemed like
>they should self prime - but yeah Phil pointed out they need viscous sealing
>that deflected me from opening it up (relief) and working out how to get
>oil back in there at enough pressure as I really didnt want to take the
>sump off again.  Just have to refit a few hoses,
>plugs etc and watch that starting current over the next few weeks.
>Oh and find a new oil pressure sender, the three I have were all way
>out and all read about 3x too high - so have a gauge in engine bay there
>for moment...
>
>Thanks guys, problem solved.
>

>Regards from
>

>Mike
>Perth, Western Australia
>VL Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
>Twin tyres for most sedans, trikes and motorcycle sidecars
>http://niche.iinet.net.au

Hi Mike

Are you still living at the same house.  I drove past the other day on
my way into Osborne Park and it seemed neat .

Can I drop over soon to have a look at what you are up to with the car?

I am working from home as of today. Contract with Nautronix wound up. I
think there is going to be some staff shedding shortly.

Sad, but thats the way it goes. Fortunately I have enough work to carry
me through to New Year.

Cheers
Don

--