[Diy_efi] PCB washing using water

Mike niche
Wed Nov 2 06:24:36 UTC 2005

No difference at all Bill,

I accept there are many changes going on in the industry
and water is used in many places but it all relates to the
part of the process, the context and the state of equipment
post manufacture condition etc.

You are describing part of what the industry does and I have
described a different part, here are some background points
which predicated the overall rationale I used to recommend IPA
and specifically exclude water for the posters dilemma:-

a.      Encapsulation epoxies are slightly hygroscopic.

b.      The huge number of digital devices are mostly
        immune to a low level of moisture retention.

c.      In production environments, the vast majority of
        integrated circuits including digital are delivered
        in sealed packages with desiccant gel.

d.      The vast majority of analog circuits (which have any
        sort of high gain property) are delivered in double
        sealed packages with desiccant gel *and* a colour
        coded humidity record card.

e.      Log linear stages both discrete and integrated are often
        used on EFI controllers employing analog devices.

f.      Part of the production process steps in the manufacture
        of EFI controllers includes drying in an oven which is
        also purged of moisture. Leaving to cool in as dry an
        environment as possible to avoid any condensation
        and as soon as possible using conformal coatings.

g.      Water is known to seriously affect analog circuitry on Carbon
        Monoxide fuel cell amplifiers for an industrial 4-20mA
        signalling board, I have direct experience of this.

h.      The poster who originally raised the problem of anti-freeze
        spill on an EFI controller confirmed a conformal coating.

i.      It is unclear if the anti-freeze had dissolved any of the
        conformal coating or any small part of the connectors
        which might allow a path of any fluids to the board or ICs.

Given such a gestalt, would it be sensible to wash thoroughly with
water or use a water free solvent such as Iso-propyl-alcohol and
further more do we apply a tangential paradigm that "de-ionised water
should be ok" (since its used during integrated circuit manufacture)
or select the most appropriate solvent for circuit board in its
current problematic context for long term reliability  ?

I might add, any solvent has probabilistic causal factors, the
width of the normal curve for IPA in respect of circuit boards
might be viewed as wider than that for water in respect of
freedom from long term effects. Neither is perfect, IPA is known
to be hygroscopic and should be kept sealed.

The posters experience with using water falls within the normal curve in
his specific use and may well confirm the conformal coating
and connectors or other plastic fixtures havent been damaged by
the anti-freeze, one doesnt interpret from this (as one private email has)
that "I told you so, water is ok" <sigh>

It comes down to the luck of the draw at the time and my aim is to
inform as to the wider experience and sensibility of using the best
chemically compatible solvent for the task at hand.

Rgds

Mike