[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi Digest, Vol 9, Issue 11

Ian Molton spyro
Fri Nov 18 11:47:42 UTC 2005

Bill Washington wrote:
> All the diesels  have owned had a cold start mechanism which adjusted
> the injection advance and throttle. If this has seized up as they often
> seem to do and then the engine adjusted for the correct cold start idle,
> as the engine warms up the cold start mechanism cannot back off the
> throttle and advance to maintain that idle rpm,

Ok, more data points...

This IP attaches to the engine by means of a belt and three injector
pipes. the pump body is fixed in place and doesnt rorate or anything
clever to achieve advance.

If it does do any form of advance I cant see how. there is no direct
mechanical sensor connected to the engine.

There are a three wires attached. two are the RPM sensor. I *think* this
is the cutoff relay.

All the temp sensors appear to be functional (although now Im wondering
what the third one is for... hmm.)

(just been out and checked - 3rd sensor makes no difference to the idle
speed.)

This IP is from my previous engine - which DID idle properly at 900 RPM.

I tried crimping the hose from the boost compensator, but no change.