[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi Digest, Vol 9, Issue 11

Bill Washington bill.washington
Wed Nov 16 03:49:34 UTC 2005

All the diesels  have owned had a cold start mechanism which adjusted the
injection advance and throttle. If this has seized up as they often seem to do
and then the engine adjusted for the correct cold start idle, as the engine
warms up the cold start mechanism cannot back off the throttle and advance to
maintain that idle rpm, therefore it will rise to ~1200rpm .... moral of the
story, check the cold start mechanism - if it is a mechanical injection - Bosch,
Roto Diesel, lucau, or any of the many clones of these systems, there is likely
to be a bowden cable coming from the injection pump, and disappearing into the
head of the engine .... they normally seize in the head, and most people just
ignore them, thereafter....

Bill