[Diy_efi] CS Failure

Bill Shaw b.shaw
Sun Nov 27 01:04:40 UTC 2005

I had a similar problem with my 928 last year.  I went through 12
alternators before I found the problem.  I was drawing too much power from
it,  8 P&H injectors spending lots or time near max dc (track car,  lots of
high rev time), electric fuel pump,  AC inverter to power the video camera's
power supply,   and electric power steering pump just sucked too much out of
it.  I pulled my hair out for a long time,  pressured to get to the next
track event I'd just go buy another and it would be OK until I got back on
the track (maybe 2 events) , then then at some point pop,  there goes
another one.  I was carrying a spare everywhere I went,  and could change it
in about 15 minutes (under the car!).

They weren't ALL killed by me though,  2 were DOA,  2 died real soon after
installation (infant mortality),  and one just blew some epoxy off the
stator,  ripping out the wires.  That one was on a Sunday at a track 8 hours
from home, before I smartened up and bought a trailer.  Lots of fun getting
out of that mess :-)

I did every thing I could think of and everything everyone on various car
lists suggested,  with no joy.  Checked all the grounds and connections many
times,  removed, inspected, and reinstalled the main power cables front to
rear on the car,  cut open the wiring harness looking for shorts,  etc, etc.
Finally I guessed that it MAY be because the alt was marginal for the car,
and all the load I added pushed it over the edge,  so I started dumping
stuff that wasn't necessary.  Once I dumped the video camera and electric PS
it's been OK,  I haven't killed one in over a year (fingers crossed).

I don't know that's your problem,  but something may be putting a huge load
on your system.  You might start checking the insulation on the big power
lines,  maybe find an ammeter to go inline with the main alt power line and
see if it's spiking or heavily loaded.

hth,

Bill
'84 928s 5 sp. Vortech/749 (now my alt will die!)