[Diy_efi] CS Failure

Dustin Lof bubblesjrtwo
Sun Nov 27 15:38:59 UTC 2005

Maybe The problem is not with the alternator, but with
the wiring between the alternator and the light bulb.

Make a test harness
Get a 6 foot piece of speaker wire.
on one end attatch a 194 light bulb, you should be
able to find a socket in a side marker light of and
old car.

on the other end
One wire attatch an alligator clip
the other wire.  clip the exciter wire a couple of
inches from the alternator and attatch to the harness
coming out of the alternator.

Now route the wire inside or under the wipers,
somewhere you can see the light bulb

In this order start the engine, connect the alligator
clip to the output stud of the alternator and go for a
drive,

if the light stays on you have just proven the
alternator is good, you have wiring problem

if the light still goes out, monitor the voltage on
the output stud of the alternator if it goes less than
12.1 when the light is off and your batt is more than
half charged than there is a problem with the wiring
between the alternator and batt.

If voltage on the output stud stays above 12.1 and the
light is out I would find a differnt vendor for
alternators

One tip for wiring is never just twist wires together
and wrap with tape, even on test harnesses, always use
crimp connectors or solder connections, if using crimp
connectors make sure you cant pull (and pull hard) the
wires out of the connector once its crimped.   wire
nuts are not good either but better than twist and
tape

If you are ever in the Brainerd MN area I woud be
happy to check it out for you.