[Diy_efi] CS Failure

Tom Visel five10man
Mon Nov 28 17:37:54 UTC 2005

I own a repair shop specializing in electrical and driveability
diagnosis and repair.  If my shop had no overhead, I could probably
retire on the income I make from alternators which other shops (or
customers) installed and had die on them due to high resistance in the
output circuit.   Intermittent or poor lamp circuit (L terminal)
connections will cause intermittent no-charge problems.  Poor or no
connection at the sense (S terminal, the big one in the regulator
connector) may cause the alternator to undercharge, but rarely to
overcharge or burn out.  What burns out CS-series (and indeed, all)
alternators is heat.  Internal heat, cause by overwork because the alt
can't charge the battery properly and/or can't monitor the battery's
state of charge.  To diagnose your vehicle:

With a fresh known good alternator and a fully charged battery (12.66 V
or better) installed, check the voltage drop on the positive and
negative sides of the charging circuit.  To do this, get the alternator
under a good load: engine running, lights on, heater blower and A/C
running, cooling fans going if you have them.  If you have an ammeter,
clamp type or no, measure the current flow through the system.  Positive
or negative side will be the same, and be sure to include all of the
wires at the battery in your measurement if using a clamp-type probe.
Note the reading.

While the engine is still running, using your DVOM, measure the voltage
between the alternator case (the case thru-screws are good candidates)
and the battery negative terminals.  Note the reading.  Now measure the
voltage between the battery positive terminal and the alternator output
stud.  Note the reading.  If you got negative readings, ignore the
sign.  It's the number that counts.

Total your two voltage readings.  This is the "voltage drop" in the
charging circuit.  It is a reflection of the resistance in the circuit -
resistance which will put a long-term strain on your alternator's diodes
and overheat and kill them.  If you get a total of greater than 0.1 Volt
per 10 Amps of alternator output, that is too much voltage drop and the
connections and/or wires and cables will need to be improved.  For a
standard 105 amp CS130, 10 gauge wire straight to the battery, with a 14
gauge fusible link, is sufficient.  For a "high output" alternator, 8
gauge with a 12 gauge fusible link is recommended.  Also, you can't have
too many grounds.  Besides keeping your alternator alive, quality
grounds (less than .050 volts drop) will help stave off computer
stupidity.  You would be astonished at the number of vehicles that leave
my shop with a sub-$150 repair (diagnosis, labor, parts, tax) when other
shops told the customer that s/he needed a new ECM or a stack of new
sensors.

TomV