[Diy_efi] CS Failure

Tom Visel five10man
Tue Nov 29 04:07:22 UTC 2005

Most likely you have a bad Lamp Control Module.  It's located in the
forward power distribution box under the hood, and it's about the size
of a box of cigarettes, with a 32-pin connector.  It controls current
flow to all of the exterior lights that aren't headlamps, so if you're
smoking bulbs, it's probably the culprit.  If you have non-stock HID
headlamps or high-wattage bulbs in your headlamps, it tends to kill this
idiot box, which gets its power from the headlamp system.

Bad news:  The modules cost mega bucks, and there are many different
part numbers to make JY hunting harder.  Good news:  You can install LED
replacements for your taillamps, for less money than the module.  The
LED lamps will have a current limiting resistor in them so they won't
accept extra current and die if the module is getting stupid.  You have
an electronic flasher (hope it never dies, it's spendy too!) so your
bulb flash rate shouldn't vary; however, if it does, you can get a 6
ohm, 50W resistor and place it in parallel with the LED turn signal bulb
and restore your previous flash rate.  I buy LED lamps from
http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm .  Good service, good product,
good selection, haven't had one die yet.

Hope this helps!
TomV