[Diy_efi] CS Failure

Daniel R. Nicoson A6intruder
Tue Nov 29 15:33:55 UTC 2005

Tom,

That's the best help I've had on this issue.  The E-39 discussion group I
listen in on doesn't have any solutions when I ask on this one.

I'll take a look at those two solutions.

Thanks!

Dan Nicoson

  -----Original Message-----
  From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org]On
Behalf Of Tom Visel
  Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:07 PM
  To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
  Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] CS Failure

  Most likely you have a bad Lamp Control Module.  It's located in the
forward power distribution box under the hood, and it's about the size of a
box of cigarettes, with a 32-pin connector.  It controls current flow to all
of the exterior lights that aren't headlamps, so if you're smoking bulbs,
it's probably the culprit.  If you have non-stock HID headlamps or
high-wattage bulbs in your headlamps, it tends to kill this idiot box, which
gets its power from the headlamp system.

  Bad news:  The modules cost mega bucks, and there are many different part
numbers to make JY hunting harder.  Good news:  You can install LED
replacements for your taillamps, for less money than the module.  The LED
lamps will have a current limiting resistor in them so they won't accept
extra current and die if the module is getting stupid.  You have an
electronic flasher (hope it never dies, it's spendy too!) so your bulb flash
rate shouldn't vary; however, if it does, you can get a 6 ohm, 50W resistor
and place it in parallel with the LED turn signal bulb and restore your
previous flash rate.  I buy LED lamps from
http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm   Good service, good product, good
selection, haven't had one die yet.
  .
  Hope this helps!
  TomV

  Daniel R. Nicoson wrote:
    Tom,

    I have a 1998 BMW 540 that eats one or two rear taillights each month.
I've never seen anything like it in over 20 years of car ownership and 19
cars.  The battery is in the trunk, I assume all power goes forward to the
engine before coming back to the taillight assemblies.

    I did put my oscilloscope on the car once to see if there were any weird
spikes, didn't see anything.

    I've cleaned all the bulb sockets, cleaned the multipin connectors, even
tried conducting grease at the contact points.  Still loose one or two bulbs
each month.  Any ideas here?

    I'd drive it into your shop and pay for a proper diagnosis if you're
anywhere close to western Pennsylvania!

    Thanks,

    Dan Nicoson