[Diy_efi] Switched High Voltage Drop?

Tom Visel five10man
Tue Nov 29 13:42:27 UTC 2005

Try disconnecting the alternator - both the plug and the output lead -
to see if the symptoms go away.  If they do, you most likely have bad
diodes.  Alternatively, you could take the car to a shop or parts store
and have them check the alternator for bad diodes (excessive AC
ripple.)  To your ECM, a bad diode is the equivalent of a booming stereo
blasting while a class full of students try to take a math test - it
can't concentrate and its numbers get skewed by the ever-changing values
it sees from its A/D converters, which are seeing ever-changing
constants provided by the ECM's internal voltage regulators.

The overall DC voltage of the ECM's power supply isn't awfully critical;
as long as it isn't too far away from nominal, you're OK in that
regard.  However, the same voltage drop that allowed electrons to get
lost on the way to your ECM might have also told your alternator's
voltage regulator (sense terminal) that the battery's state of charge
was lower than it actually was, leading to a long-term overcharge
condition.  Long-term overcharging, besides being bad for the battery,
will overheat and kill the diodes in the alternator, because they don't
get a rest.  They have a duty cycle, and if it is exceeded for too long,
they will fail, either open or shorted, which leaves you with an
alternator that produces what I call "polluted DC."  Imagine the graph
on a heart monitor - that's more or less what a failed diode looks like
on an oscilloscope.  AC is a sine wave, DC is a flat line, and normal
alternator output is an almost flat line, like a pond on a windy day.

I would get your diagram out, follow the power from the ECM back to its
source, and take measurements all the way.  Place your positive lead on
one side of a circuit section, and the negative on the other, and
measure that drop.  When you find the bad section, narrow it down to a
connector or fuse or whatever and correct the problem so it doesn't
return.  Explain to your friend the benefits of not just fixing the
problem, but the root cause, and he can buy us both a beer.

TomV