[Diy_efi] help: Need to identify type of cam ref sensor

mark krawczuk krawczuk
Wed Nov 30 12:19:12 UTC 2005

hi,  if  the sensor has only  2 wires it should be a    pickup from a reluctor type setup.

anything else has  3 wires, like a hall effect  pickup,   power, gnd and out put, i dont know of anyothert type of sensor that only has 2 wires.

mark k
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Damian Long
  To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
  Sent: Wednesday, 30 November 2005 9:53 PM
  Subject: [Diy_efi] help: Need to identify type of cam ref sensor

  Hi, I have a factory cam ref sensor that I am trying to interface with an ecu. The ecu uses a lm1815 variable reluctance trigger. So what I need is a reluctance waveform. I cannot identify the type of sensor that is mounted inside the distributor of my car.

  The sensor looks very much like an inductive sensor. Its mounted inside the distributor and has a steel wheel with a large tooth that passes it. It has only two terminals. One is connected to ground, the other one went to the original factory ecu. The sensor is a Mitsubishi sensor L911R (I think).

  All I have to go by is the factory manual troubleshooting

  volts at idle 3v
  If ecu terminal voltage at idle is 0v then open circuit to sensor (this would make you think the sensor makes its own power)

  When I connect the sensor to an oscilloscope I get nothing. No waveform whatsoever.

  Sensor characteristics.
  Resistance: ~6Mohm
  Capacitance: 0.03mF
  Inductance : seems to have none

  Thats all I know. Anyone know what it is? Its driving me batty.