[Diy_efi] Newbie here

junkie4 at earthlink.net junkie4
Wed Nov 30 23:11:41 UTC 2005

Hi all,

First time poster here.  I'm trying to put TBI on a Toyota inline 6 engine, and I have acquired some parts already I have a 1227747 the original harness from a Chevy k1500, a Throttle body, and tons of reading material.  I just noticed that the TPS  on the Throttle body I have is of the older type plug(looks like the MAP sensor plug), and the harness has the newer roundish plug.  Is my best course of action here to buy a newer sensor, or to find a pigtail and solder it onto the harness?   I'd also like to ask how to understand the bin listings you have on the FTP site.  I don't quite understand what listings are for what engines, and what options.

If anyone has any information on how to interface the distributor off my I-6 engine to the ECM, I'd love to read that as well.  That's the area I am weakest in my understanding.  I don't see how the GM distributors actually change the position of the rotor to change the timing.  I suppose they could NOT change the position and just let the spark jump, but that seems wasteful.  I don't understand what the 4 wires leading from the distributor  actually tell the ECM. (When to fire and when to inject is obvious, but that would seem only like 2 wires.)   Trying to understand what all is going on.

Thanks
Dave