[Diy_efi] [ot] Oil pressure/drill driver

Banditknight at aol.com Banditknight
Tue Nov 1 02:38:16 UTC 2005

In a message dated 10/31/05 5:40:23 AM Central Standard Time,
bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au writes:

> On some cars, the oil pump is driven off the distributor timing
> gear. You can then use an old shaft and a power drill to spin the
> oil pump before replacing the timing belt/chain on assembly.
>
> Even easier if you have an electric oil pump... :-)

I picked up a parts engine with a second distributor for my 215 and while
rebuilding both of them, one broke off just under the point mounting surface
leaving the shaft, so I cut it off flush and put a collar where the gear had been,
then a thick "O" ring on top to hold it up, and when installed it centers it
self and there is just enough shaft sticking out the top that a drill chuck
fits on just right,

And if I use a distributor less ignition, it will bolt in flush and I just
use a washer to hold the top seal in place reinstall the oil pump drive gear and
I'm good to go.

I'll bet I could fabricate up a cam sensor on top of the bit of shaft
sticking out of the top for timing rather than a crank sensor!