Fw: [Diy_efi] OT - cap/rotor clearance

Geoff Harrison geoff_h
Tue Oct 18 15:40:16 UTC 2005

I have heard about this theory. Lets take it to extremes. Lets make the gap
at the rotor 15". The gap in the plugs 40thou. How much spark will we get at
the plug?

The overall gap, i.e. that in the dizzy plus that in the plug can slightly
effect timing. The more gap, the higher the voltage required to bridge the
gap. So the spark occurs later. That's why the old series type timing lights
weren't that accurate.

What may be a greater concern with the tighter gap in the dizzy, is extra
I agree with your ref to resistance wires. This can be easily demonstrated
by connecting 2 light bulbs in series. Say a headlight, and a parker light.
Connect the lot to a 12v battery. Only the parker will glow. The headlight
doesn't have enough current to develop sufficient power to glow.

That's why I use inductive wires, and not resistive.
The comment about the "voltage rise time" is half true. With more gap, the
rise time will be slightly longer, and the voltage slightly higher. However,
a higher voltage is required to bridge the gap. A good thing if it was
inside the combustion chamber, a bigger flame front. Wasted energy inside
the dizzy cap.

BTW, I started with electronics in the 60s, and engines in the 70s.

Regards, Geoff