Fw: [Diy_efi] OT - cap/rotor clearance

Rick McLeod dunvegan
Tue Oct 18 16:51:25 UTC 2005

I would have to say that the least resistance in the
path to the plug gap will optimize the spark and flame
front. Take a lead from the coil-on-plug designs, very
minimal secondary resistance there.

By reducing the gap in the dizzy, you then place the
control in the ammount of energy the coil can store in
standard breaker designs or the energizer of the
ignition system vs. the gap the voltage must jump to
create the spark.

Give me less variables to deal with and repeatability
will improve, therefore tunning will be easier.

Bottom line, the gap in the dizzy should be the least
ammount to prevent mechanical interferrence while
rotating with inclusion of radial play. This will also
minimize carbon tracks created by arcing that
ultimately will become resistance to the flow,
therefore reducing consistancy over time. and the same
for timing consisitency.

hth