[Diy_efi] Vortec 4200 Inline 6 ECM/BCM

jb jonnbell
Tue Oct 25 14:39:49 UTC 2005

> Yes, the ECM is capable of being
>     cleaned up along with the wire harness to stand alone function.
> The
>     beauty of the cams being controlled by the ECM is maintained >
> the ABS
>     / Trans. / etc. can be turned off. Have you checked out GM Media
> for
>     all the voluptuous .pdf files they generated on this engine ?
>

>     http://tinyurl.com/dv6gg
>

>     I've collected them all > lost foam casting of the engine
>     thru Turbo / Supercharging of the little bro 5 cyl. version.
>
>     Get the Press Kit .pdf & all the yearly update .pdf files.
>
>     Check the Identity line of the .pdf which shows _02
>     or _06 which will tip you as to the year the release
>     was made > saves you time when hunting for that
>     illusive _06 4200 update .pdf   ( ;)  )
>
>     Join the Bulletin Board @ www.Inliners.org & go to
>     High Performance > 4200 and you'll be at the
>     epicentre for information.
>
>     The most advanced project is by 'Hemimann' >
>     who posted his research contacts ( see the previous
>     diy_efi > I posted them )
>
>     I'm just getting going on my Eagle series50, a 4x4
>     Gremlin AMC made in '81  -  '82.
>
>     Bought a 6spd. LS430 Lexus automatic trans to run
>     behind the 4200.  The trans. came with a computer
>     hanging on it's side> with luck I'll get the 4200 ECM
>     to chat with it & avoid a manual controller.
>
>     Biggest fright is mating the trans to the 4200!
>

>                  Brien.
>              NEW YORK
>        eagle registry #501
>     eagle kammback registry

I am now posting on the inliners.org as mogofosho, fyi.  Talk over
there is that the BCM has a serial connection to the PCM and not jsut
a +- voltage.  I have acquired an entire envoy to play with($795, 38k
miles), right down to the key in the ign sw.  Any idea how I could
monitor the line between the BCM and PCM to determine how to get one
of these running without a BCM?  I'm a programmer, but have never done
low level stuff like this.  Since i have the BCM, i'm not as worried
about getting rid of it, but I'd like to help those that don't ahve
one and also get rid of mine someday.  The plan is to do this same
swap to my brother's 65 nova I6 after I get my nova figured out.