[Diy_efi] info

Mike niche
Mon Oct 31 14:51:52 UTC 2005

At 10:24 PM 10/31/05, you wrote:
>But...but...but...  We're not talking about any of that.  We're talking
>about a conformally coated PCB that got washed in antifreeze.  Convincing
>people to do unnecessary stuff through 'scientific dissertation' isn't
>necessarily a helpful thing. The simplest solution is frequently the better,
>again MHO.

Bill, please understand, we didnt know *at the time* it was conformally coated.

Water may be simple but it *does* cause problems - especially where
there are any number of analog circuits. Incidentally, Isopropanol is
also a pretty simple molecule IMHO  ;)

The simplest solution is to use the one which is the recommended
solvent - not  the cheapest and easily accessible if you want the best
professional outcome longterm.

>Moot point now since John merely blew it off and it is running again. :-)

Well, with respect, we dont really know its moot because anyone with
even minor experience of electronics *knows* the first impression doesnt
mean lasting reliability and freedom from long term corrosion.

ie. A board can look as nice cleaned with water as any other solvent.

Eg.
We had a local PCB supplier some 12 years back, now bankrupt. He
produced process control alarm boards. Yes, he washed em in water
and I might add in an ultrasonic tank so he was sure water would get into
the nooks and cranies and not fully dry out before he coated them in
plain old varnish. The boards lasted 2 to 3 years before random failures.

Suffice it to say, the varnish cracked in some places, the mineralisation
from the first lot of water left hygroscopic areas which conducted
along the varnish cracks, the boards failed. The company demanded the
replacement of all the varnished boards, through legal mechanisms they
drove the company bankrupt, the guy who bought the rights is an ex plumber,
thought he knew it all, didnt read any tech specs on electrolytic caps,
boards or even had trouble with the term 'hygroscopic"...

Had they used the recommended solvent at the time - guess the outcome ?

Bill, with electronics - it is necessary to use the recommended solvent.

There is a responsibility in ensuring we are properly informed where others
rely on our expertise and not blind faith or hope that water is simple.

It is fully appropriate to offer a dissertation based upon experience and
knowledge of chemical compatibility issues as there are others reading this.

If your business is dependent on supplying boards in commercial
quantity and you expect to stay in business on that basis in the long
term using water from whatever source then I advise caution. If you
are not doing it as your primary income source, as perhaps a hobby where
you are still learning of long term effects, then you take your
risks and I hope you can connect the cause with the effect and are open
to learn from the experience of others to save you uncertainty,

Cheers

Mike