[Diy_efi] Re: OT - platinum plugs burning up wires (Rick McLeod)

Stuart Hall stuartghall
Mon Sep 12 23:06:46 UTC 2005

>I have to agree on the turbo w/ plat's, I have 4
>gas/turbo cars, and ALL of them (3 Volvos and a GM)
>HATE plat's, stock OEM plugs w/ large electrodes seem
>to create the best light-off of the mix under higher
>boosts, which relates to higher compression. I don't
>have a 'hi-comp' engine to relate to (my GM v8's are <
>9:1) and plat's weren't around when I built my 10.5:1
>GM BB nearly 30 years ago, so no experience there, but
>would be interested to hear what folks running hi-comp
>have learned.
>
>Thanks, everyone, for the great disscussions so far.
>And, what's even better, no flames! Thanks

Hey guys, my first post here so I hope I get this right!

I drive a 1990 300ZX NA and if memory is correct it has a reasonably high
compression ratio of around 10.5:1... the factory plugs are platinum and a
sticker under the hood says to only replace with platinum plugs every
100,000ks... so I guess they last longer than regular plugs, and work in
high comp engines, but I think the ignition circuit is probably different
for them, if there is an actual resistance difference as people have pointed
out here... the Z engine has individual coil packs on the top of each plug,
so no real high tension leads to speak of either... not sure if this all
helps anyone or just causes more confusion :p
cheers,
Stu