Thanks and a bit abotu me. Was:Re: [Diy_efi] TBI or TPI?

Ashley Evans hoshy
Thu Sep 15 14:17:24 UTC 2005

Ian Molton wrote:
> Ashley Evans wrote:
>
>> Ah, I always knew there was another UKer lurking somewhere.  I see
>> you're an f2s user also.  Are you on an easynet llu exchange?  If so
>> how do you find the higher upstream?  It seems very cheap. Any
>> contention problems?
>
> Never had contention issues. Im not sure how to tell whos LLU Im using
> though - dont know much about the stuff on ATM side of the DSL modem
> here... Im seriously considering their 8mbit service... (incidentally,
> mnementh runs on the end of that DSL line so you can judge for
> yourself :-) - I have a 512/256 connection.
>
>> Maybe I can hook up a high speed dac/adc and run my ems on an eSeries
>> then ;-)
>
> I'll let you know when I've done it :)
>
> Seriously - I dont think its IO would be good enough latency-wise.
>
> what Im going to do is build an EMU using an EZ-USB uC and hook it up
> to my in-car PC (as yet unbuilt). the uC would habdle anything timing
> critical, and could be hard-coded in assembler for speed.
>
> > Seriously though it's nice to see at least one more Linuxer on
>> here.
>
> It certainyl felt odd not to see linux on something like this list...
>
> > It certainly fits in with the diyefi thing.
>
> Yup.
>
>> So what brings you to this list?
>
> http://www.mnementh.co.uk/carpc/
>
> probably answers a lot of that. any questions, just ask :-)

I like the car pc.  nicely fitted in to an iso slot! and the usb on the
dash is a nice touch.. perfect for copying oggs.  I thought about doing
one with a wireless card that automatically syncs when in range :)  I'd
like to know the full tech specs of the system and costs?  I see you
using ide -> CF which is good but still I think there's going to be heat
issues?  Is the psu a custom job? does it use power saving to run 24/7
to avoid long boot delays?  I was going to run a laptop with default
lilo option set to "incar" mode would have a VERY minimal kernal.  ide +
sound only. not even VTs or anything and pass it init=my_custom_stuff to
keep boot up times down, but I think there's scope with a permanently
installed device to have it powered all the time, maybe even voltage
monitoring so if the car is left for a long time it will shutdown, but
for day to day use it's always on... just a thought really.

What are you going to run on it?  I see there's something that looks
like a camera on the mirror? I'm looking up the ez usb thing now. looks
interesting, it's not one I'd come across.  I'm very interested in
getting on with my own engine management system running. but the
electronics side is a little beyond me, If I could get a base cpu/io
setup that I could run linux with real time addons on I could program it
up for the uni project, as just the software would be the project.

On the llu/dsl thing.  llu is local loop ubundling,  if your exchange is
undundled then easy net will be installing their equipment which allows
for the 8meg service.  I know I can get it in Kingston and I'm probably
going to switch.  if you're in a 512k then you'll be with BT's equipment
which is a 20:1 contention, when f2s resell the 8meg easynet service
they do it at 50:1 contention.  compare the easynet website prices with
f2s and you'll see :)

phew, just scrolled up to see the essay I've written. lol.  I'll be off
before I waste any more bandwidth.

Ashley