[Diy_efi] Question about TBI fuel pressure

Tomlinson, Brandon B Brandon_Tomlinson
Fri Sep 23 01:30:01 UTC 2005

Do you have a part number? Or an model application? Thanks, BranZ
--------------------------
Brandon Tomlinson
Communication Tech II
254.710.4383

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org <diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org>
To: jimkyser at ieee.org <jimkyser at ieee.org>; diy_efi at diy-efi.org <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Thu Sep 22 18:19:06 2005
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] Question about TBI fuel pressure

In tank is good for protection, not so good for replacement. NAPA carries an inline pump for about $75 that puts out 32PSI. The TBI unit will regulate it down to 12 providing your return line is a minimum 5/16". Smaller than that and it will back up to around 20. I personally run 18PSI on my TBI and it seems to be fine (for my app). If you are concerned about damaging it on the trail, get a piece of 'C' channel the same size as your frame and 1/8" - 3/16" thick. Cut it 4" longer that the pump and mount it to the frame to create a box. If it's slightly smaller than your frame, it's a little easier. You can just drill two holes in the frame and two in the channel and tap the cannel for quick bolt on. Otherwise you need to fab brackets.      Ski

Jim Kyser <jimkyser at ieee.org> wrote:

	I am adapting a TBI system to my 1946 Willys Jeep with a Buick V6.
	(yeah, I know I could adapt a Buick TPI setup but the parts are much
	more expensive)

	My question regards fuel pressure. I would ideally like to run an intank
	pump and am looking at the pump from a Pontiac Aztek. Basically, the
	pump and fuel level sensor are all mounted together in an assembly that
	bolts in from the top of the tank though the typical large opening. The
	problem is that the Aztek pump is for a TPI setup and puts out upwards
	of 40 PSI. I know that the TBI systems need more like 5 PSI. Could I
	just put a regulator inline to drop the pressure down?