[Diy_efi] Reality check - no efi content - long winded

Bill - Comcast b.shaw
Tue Aug 22 04:16:51 UTC 2006

Bill,

I was deaccelerating to take an exit off the highway.  It just stalled
and would not start again.  The head is off,  the valve is bent.  Just
slightly,  but bent.  Marks on the piston where it kissed,  too.

Cad,
Yep,  the labor sounds about right.  There was a pile of plastic and
metal fragments in a neat little cone under the pickup.  They did in
fact do the work I paid for.  My only problem with it is the fact that
they blew the diagnosis and the estimate.  If they told me a valve was
bent the car would have been junked.  If they had told me it would cost
$1k to fix the car would have been junked.  This is why I titled the
thread a reality check,  to see if others here agree or disagree.
Thanks for your input.

Bill

Cad wrote:

The Mitchell labor manual calls for 5.3 hrs for the timing chain and gears
and 5.0 hrs for the oil pan. That's $885 labor here. The stock plastic
covering on the gears gets into the oil pan, and can clog the pickup tube if
a lot of it has come loose, but you don't know that until you are into the
job. A good service writer/ technician team should have brought this to your
attention (as well as the possibility of bent valves).
They may be guilty of no more than incomplete diagnosis - meaning they
didn't see all of the damage, but they did everything you paid them to. Yes,
it bites. Had you known the bill would be $1000 and still not be done, you
may have ditched the car. However, it sounds like they may have done what
you paid for, in which case stopping payment is something you should check
with a lawyer about before taking action.