[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi Digest, Vol 18, Issue 23

Bill Washington bill.washington
Tue Aug 22 04:04:45 UTC 2006

Bill,
    Try this - pressurize the cylinder - with the air hose held in
firmly, then slowly open the exhaust valve, rotating it while doing so
if possible (I don't know how much access you have).  then close the
valve to see if there is any improvement.
    Alternately Rotate  the rengine until that piston is at TDC, remove
the valve springs, and rotate the valve with your fingers against the
seat to dislodge any carbon, then try re-pressurizing.

Was the engine working or idling when it ate the timing chain? If it was
idling there 'may' be a chance it survived(that happened to a friend who
had a Jag - the timing chain snapped at idle with no resulting other
damage!!! quite amazing - he simply fitted a new timing chain and all
was well!), if it was working the likelyhood is small!

Regards
Bill W