[Diy_efi] RE: Diy_efi Digest, Vol 18, Issue 27

Cad Company Support support
Thu Aug 24 21:13:35 UTC 2006

Matco sells (or used to) an 'injector tester'. The one I have triggers 1
injector with a standard connector, and has 2 jumper leads to power it off
of the vehicle battery. There is no part number on it, and it is over 10
years old, but it was relatively cheap (and still works). It has 2 multi
position switches to handle various types of injectors. I suspect it was
made by OTC, and there is probably one that will trigger multiple units.
This one is smaller than a pack of smokes. JC Whitney used to sell a stand
alone ignition system in a briefcase sort of thing for under $150 - probably
useless for running an engine, but could be a good source for triggering
injectors.
You may also want to check with an equipment supplier and see if you can get
a replacement injector pulse generator for your 8 unit OTC, RAM, etc
injector testing station. Might be cheap enough to be worth the labor
savings, but that would take all of the fun out of it.

I'm thinking the EFI injector driver solution would want to be a batch fire
system, not SFI, especially if you want to look at the patterns with a
strobe...

If you can find an old timing light that triggers by a clip on the negative
side of the points coil at a flea market (makes me wish I'd asked for
Grandpas when they were cleaning out his old shop), it should trigger off
the negative pulse wire to an injector.

If you use an injector driver that will run 10 injectors, one of the extras
could be used to drive your strobe without worrying if the strobe setup will
affect the injector operation.

You could probably build the strobe out of a $10 Walgreen's camera. The
camera flash (Steve's idea) is a good idea IMHO, but external 35mm stuff is
pretty expensive. The last $10 Chinese 35mm I dropped, the glass lens flash
popped right out, and looked like a 2 wire hookup. Disposable cameras are
probably a plastic lens on the flash, which wouldn't last long in that
environment.

CW

Message: 1