[Diy_efi] Is E85 worth it?

Don Sauman donsauman
Fri Aug 25 23:54:00 UTC 2006

I recently bought a 1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee with the 2.5lt Turbo Diesel.
The performance is excellent. I have been using this as what you might
call a Town and Country car rather than a serious off-roader. The
economy around town is around 10.9 litres/100km. Because the torque on
take off produced some interest effects I replaced the Command Trac
transfer box with a Select Trac box so that I could have full time 4WD
on the bitumen. What weather handling has also benefited from this.

I am now using a 20% bio-diesel blend  from the pump with no detectable
change in performance. I like this arrangement and am in the process of
fitting a 6.2lt Chevy V8 diesel into my 1983 Jeep Wagon.

Also, at a time when diesel here is about 138? per lt, I have bought
some privately brewed and processed bio-diesel for 50? per lt. I am
going to do some tests before I use this seriously.

Don