[Diy_efi] Re: Zinc and o2 sensors

John Smith dirtrider218
Sat Feb 4 20:24:51 UTC 2006

Alot of modern diesels have exhaust catalysts too, just FYI. A tight engine
will use such a paltry amount of oil that I doubt the presence of Zinc could
make them or oxygen sensors fail prematurely. I have not seen any studies on
it, though.

I use petroleum 15w-40 diesel oil in everything I have that can use that
viscosity. Its a good oil for air-cooled motorcycles with wet clutches. The
diesel oil has little or no moly which will glaze over the  clutch and wreck
it. Petroleum "motorcycle" oil costs on average $5-7 whereas you can get a
gallon of the other for that much. I use the oil in my cars because I can
get it in convenient 4-gallon boxes at Costco. The most common brands I use
are Chevron Delo 400, Shell Rotella T, and Mobil Delvac. I've heard that the
synthetic versions of these are even better yet.