[Diy_efi] comments on reorganizing lists

Ernest Buckler ebuckler
Tue Feb 7 06:03:02 UTC 2006

Steve,
I like yer approach.  I like the forums myself, for the reasons you give.
But I'm a lurker, so will go whatever direction the active users want.   I'm
GETTING READY to diy-efi on my Audi....  Oh, must add that this is one of
the most productive and intelligent groups I've seen, and I'm on several
other tech lists.  Many thanks for a great service!

BTW , what is diy-wb?   I've gone thru the letters and can't guess wb...

Ernie B.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Ravet" <Steve.Ravet at arm.com>
To: <gmecm at diy-efi.org>; <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>; "efi_332"
<efi332 at diy-efi.org>; <wbo2 at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 9:24 PM
Subject: [Diy_efi] comments on reorganizing lists

I've thought about moving the lists to the forum style format that most
other internet groups use -- corral.net, thirdgen, etc.  I've been
opposed to this for some time, liking the email format these lists have
always used.  So I've put together a list of what I think the pros and
cons of each are and I'd like to solicit some discussion and opinions on
whether a switch would be good or bad.

email pros:
1)  new posts come to your inbox, or can be filtered to another box.

email cons:
1)  surprisingly high bandwidth usage
2)  archive/search engine isn't automatic.

forum pros:
1)  possibly lower bandwidth
2)  message context always available.  Don't have to depend on included
replies or memory to know if the discussion started out about Ford or GM
intakes, for example.
3)  archive/searching built in.
4)  sticky posts mean good information doesn't disappear into the
archive abyss.

forum cons:
1)  overly cute dancing smiley faces
2)  chatty
3)  no digest mode (?)

The owner may be able to turn off dancing icons, and I don't know if the
chatty-ness of other forums is due to the list membership or encouraged
by the format.  An ideal solution may be like yahoo where you can sign
up for email delivery of all posts if you want.  Note, I am not
suggesting moving the lists to yahoo.

If the switch is made I plan on having the same lists available,
possibly dropping the diy_wb list since it's very low traffic and on
topic for diy_efi.  I don't plan on having a lounge forum.

Anyway, if you have an addition to the pros and cons listed above send
it, and if you have an opinion on switching send that also.

--steve

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the
contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the
information in any medium.  Thank you.