[Diy_efi] comments on reorganizing lists

Ashley Evans hoshy
Tue Feb 7 08:30:44 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've been a hardened fan on mailing lists for a long time.  It keeps
information in one place (my inbox, and sub folders) I always have it on
my PC for offline reference, god forbid I should ever be without the net!

However, there's a lot to be said for Forum style intereaction.  They
often easier to find through google (please don't require sign-up to
browse!!)  Information becomes part of the more popular side of the net
and that promotes greater contribution.

I wouldn't mind betting that similar arguments went on with the moving
of newsgroups to email based lists a few years ago, even still I'd
imagine - I'm sure that there are plenty of newsgroup users about.

It would be nice to see an extension to web-based forums that allows
pure email contribution in a kind of best-of-both-worlds way.  Alas,
I've not see one that works properly yet.

Did you have a forum in mind?  I would urge you to try the forum
available at http://nukecops.com/

Sign up to www.e30zone.co.uk to see it in use in a high volume
situation.  It has the essential features where you need them and
doesn't mess you around like some other software I've seen.  It's based
on phpBB (also a good choice).  Mainly I like the following three links,
as they're useful to keep track of new threads and threads you are
participating in.

New posts since last visit
My posts
Posts with no replies

You be surprised how many boards don't have these essential features.
Basically I'm trying to say, if you do move - move to a good one :)

Anyway, hopefully some food for thought.

Regards,
Ashley