[Diy_efi] 555 Timer controlled EFI

Daniel R. Nicoson A6intruder
Sat Jan 21 03:50:00 UTC 2006

I haven't been following your discussion throughout but I'd like to offer a
couple comments.

First I think it's an interesting idea to base a EFI around a 555 but I
don't think it is very practical.  With the price of the lowliest 8-bit
micro processors less than $5, you're going to make yourself crazy making it
work compared to going with a simple digital system.  To much stuff is not
linear...

Enough negative.  Here's a couple positives.

1) If you are going to run an engine with a 555 chip, the "restriction" of a
MAF is the least of your problems.

2) If you size a MAF for the engine at hand, it is not a restriction.  By
sizing it, you have ensured it will flow more air than your engine can
possibly use.

3) If you want a MAF with an analog output, use a Ford MAF.  The use 12 volt
power, a 5 volt reference voltage, and they output a 0 - 5 volt signal.  No
it is not a linear transfer function.

4)  Has anyone started bread-boarding this controller?  It is interesting
what you learn as you are bread-boarding circuits like this.

Good luck,

Dan Nicoson