[Diy_efi] 555 Timer controlled EFI

Geoff Harrison geoff_h
Sat Jan 21 04:27:59 UTC 2006

Good comments Daniel. I did see your other post regarding the
size of MAFs. And it stands to reason.
When I first looked into this idea, I was looking for a
replacement for a typical 2 barrel carb on a typical 4 litre 6
cyl. The more I learnt about GM controllers, the more I felt I
was re-inventing the wheel. If I were to use GM sensors
everywhere, why not just use the controller and harness, and
learn how to program it.
So it got shelved. It still has the advantage of being easily
tuned, especially if a WB02 is used.

As for the learning curve, I think I learnt more about EFI in
starting to design one, rather than just using one from the junk
yard, with the aid of these posts. Several listers have ideas
about using the idea on single cyl or stationary engines, it may
shine in that area.

As I have stated earlier, this is just an idea I have not yet
prototyped. What I can say though, the 555 can be a bit tricky
when mounted on Vero board. You must run bypass caps on the
supply rail. When it resets, or discharges the timing capacitor,
it can cause a surge, making the pulse length inaccurate. I have
heard of the 555 being a bit unstable. Could be the same cause.

Geoff H.

PS please don't ask me to define a typical 4l 6cyl eng. LOL. Try
a 70s. Silly comment this day and age.