[Diy_efi] 555 Timer controlled EFI

Daniel R. Nicoson A6intruder
Sat Jan 21 04:46:24 UTC 2006

I've found that digging into a project is always the best way to learn about
a subject.  I think that's why it is so hard for a kid to sit in school and
learn from a book and lectures.  Some of us just aren't wired that way.
Twenty years ago I had 5 semesters of calculus but it wasn't until I later
had an engineering course that really used some Fourier transfer functions
that I understood how they could be used and really how to manipulate them
(I can't remember any of that stuff now!).

The 555 is actually a very nice IC.  I use it for everything, almost to my
detriment.  I've been slogging along on a variety of projects for the last
three years and most of the circuits have a 555 in them.  Every time I come
up on a control issue that isn't linear I wish I knew my microprocessor
stuff already.  That will be my next stage of learning once I get the next
few of my projects completed, learn microprocessors.

The old timers used to use calculus to set up their analog circuits.  They
would lay out the basic idea and actually write equations to represent the
curved functions they needed to manipulate and then build with vacuum tubes.
Then silicone came along and things like opamps replaced various tubes but
the same process worked.  Now when we hit curvilinear functions it is much
easier to go digital and chop that beautiful curve into
rectangles...Amazingly complex devices worked very well and very fast before
we all started thinking digital...but I digress.

Take care,

Dan Nicoson