[Diy_efi] IAC whistles at idle

Bill USN-1 scoutii76
Wed Jul 5 20:00:17 UTC 2006

I would assume you did not install the VSS when you did the conversion.
This can cause some of your stalling issues.

You may also want to open the throttle plate up a little more to get the IAC
counts down. This may help with your whistling.

Can you log data?
Are you running a stock GM chip or did you have one burned for your
application?

Bill
USN-1

-----Original Message-----
From: diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:diy_efi-bounces at diy-efi.org] On
Behalf Of Stew Pididiot
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 9:53 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: [Diy_efi] IAC whistles at idle

I have a new TBI application on an old bronco with a 302 in it.  The vehicle
runs well most of the time, but sometimes will stall at idle.  The stalling
seems to occur after periods of start & stop street driving involving low
(<50 mph) speeds. It runs well at highway speeds, and idles nicely after
freeway runs.

I've noticed that the engine has a high pitched whistling sound at idle.  I
say "whistling" because it sounds like air, not a mechancal sound.  The
whistle will go away if I jsut rest my foot on the gas.

I'm guessing that there is some carbon or other debris in the IAC such that
in certain modes (e.g. closed) its motion blocked by the debris.  Could this
be the source of both the stalling and the whistling?  If so, what is the
best method for cleaning it?  It looks like it requires a specialized too to
remove it, is there another way to safely remove it for cleaning?