[Diy_efi] Knock retard and Race gas

Rob Weinstock weinstro
Tue Jul 11 19:14:02 UTC 2006

>Isn't there someone on this BB that has a masters degree in Internal
>combustion??? if not Others might know. On a local club board we are
>discussing higher octane race fuel ( 100/103) vs standard 98/93 pump fuel
>and knock. We all know how well it will reduce some knock (KR) that our
>3800 series 2 Supercharged ( pontiac grand prix 97-03) cars from
>compression ( supercharger) of the air mixutre ( which heats it)... It wil
>reduce the knock via more complete combustion and reducing the KR we get
>form the supercharger... the question comes up
>
>   If a car has 0 knock ( detonation) and you put hight octane gas in the
>tank for race purposes, does it give you  an advantage, or are you waisting
>your money??? Personally I think that even if you dont get the advantage of
>reduced knock your still getting a better combustion and therefore a more
>power from the cylinder... Yes/NO

The higher octane fuel allows you to run higher compression, more boost, and
more spark advance without detonation issues. If two fuels can run under
these same conditions without detonation, than you are wasting money on the
higher octane fuel. You could be worse off in fact, since lower octane fuels
tend to contain a bit more specific energy.

Regards,

Rob