[Diy_efi] Laptop OBD2 Scan Tools....

Rick McLeod dunvegan
Wed Jul 12 16:56:15 UTC 2006

I personally like Dell and Toshiba, but the key to selection is to understand that most new units are 'sans-serial' in the traditional sense of RS232/DB9 ports, in favor of USB for serial. That means there must be a interface that is OBDx to USB, or if it is traditional serial RS232 you'll need an RS232>USB dongle (adapter) to use the typical OBDx interface cables. There are still good values in laptops w/ serial, and you don't need a barnburner for what you're needing to do, but keep in mind other things you'll want to do w/ the laptop, pay me now or pay me later!

----- Original Message ----
From: "Van Setten, Tim @ ACSSD" <Tim.VanSetten at l-3com.com>
To: DIY-EFI <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:45:03 AM
Subject: [Diy_efi] Laptop OBD2 Scan Tools....

I have a 99 Dodge Diesel truck (Cummings) and a 98 Ford E350 (V10) motor
home and have acquired the "Check Engine" light on both.  I have the
little hand-held code reader that reads and clears the codes, but now I
would like to see the data stream for better trouble shooting.

I would like to get a scan tool that works with my laptop so it can be
used out on the road (real-time data, data logging, etc.).

What are your favorites?  Have you seen this one?

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

I called autoenginuity and they have a bundled deal for me for $550.00
since both my vehicles are not really OBD2 (since they are both over
8500 GVW, they are technically OBD1, but an OBD2 code reader will work).
I need their enhanced software they say.

Is there any group favorites for a laptop?  I know each has its own
advantages, but I thought I would see what the group's favorites are.
Thanks.....Tim.