[Diy_efi] Laptop OBD2 Scan Tools....

Van Setten, Tim @ ACSSD Tim.VanSetten
Wed Jul 12 17:07:16 UTC 2006

My laptop has both, the USB and Serial ports.  My question is who has
the best deal, program, ease of use product to interface to OBD2 port?
I'm looking for a interface cable and software product to use with a
laptop....Tim.

I personally like Dell and Toshiba, but the key to selection is to
understand that most new units are 'sans-serial' in the traditional
sense of RS232/DB9 ports, in favor of USB for serial. That means there
must be a interface that is OBDx to USB, or if it is traditional serial
RS232 you'll need an RS232>USB dongle (adapter) to use the typical OBDx
interface cables. There are still good values in laptops w/ serial, and
you don't need a barnburner for what you're needing to do, but keep in
mind other things you'll want to do w/ the laptop, pay me now or pay me
later!