[Diy_efi] Some problems with my FI conversion

Torbjörn Forsman torbjorn.forsman
Wed Jul 19 20:14:27 UTC 2006

One possibility might be that the distributor is rotating in the wrong
direction (the opposite direction against what the GM part was intended
for). In that case, interchange the leads from the inductive pickup.

Furthermore, it might be a good idea to use a ignition module that is
intended for a 4-cylinder engine.

I have bad experience of using anything other than the original types of
ignition coils for the HEI ignition systems. Those ignition modules
differ from all other ones in that they have no transient protection for
the switch transistor, they rely on that the original ignition coil is
designed so that it can never give voltage spikes above ca. 350 V across
the primary even if the secondary is disconnected.

Some years ago, i converted an old Volvo (engine B20A, 4-cyl, 2.0 l)
from carb to GM TBI, i used a TBI system from an Opel with 4-cyl 1.6 l
engine. The distributor was assembled of part from several old Bosch
distributors, in order to get an inductive pickup in a casing that fits
the Volvo engine.

I have not changed the bin at all, just increased the fuel pressure to
about 1.9 bars by using an adjustable pressure regulator in the return
line, in order to adapt the system to the larger engine.

Best regards

Torbj?rn Forsman