[Diy_efi] [ot] Alternator integrated with power steering pump ?

Mike niche
Tue Jul 25 05:40:02 UTC 2006

At 09:28 AM 7/25/06, you wrote:
>Why does it have to be integrated?

Doesnt have to be but appears best way to remove PS pump left of
engine to free up turbo inlet for some mods. Right of engine has
existing alternator but no room for another pulley hence approach
to explore removing existing alternator and replacing with an
integrated unit as there is just enough room behind it (once I
move a couple of pipes).

>Especially a power steering pump; which has to have characteristics
>to match other power steering elements in the car?

Yes true, so its sensible to explore the specs, if I can find an
existing integrated unit and see to removing the pump (if its not
compatible) then it may well be easier to replace with the pump
I am currently using. Of the 4 or so different pumps I have seen so
far are all vane type with only minor differences in flow/rpm rating.
I am happy to change the pulley size on the 'integrated' unit and
compensate with a smps regulator to 'bring up' the alternator output
if its overall rpms are low as I will put PS ahead of alternator output
in terms of operational priority...

Regards from

Mike
Perth, Western Australia
VL Commodore Fuse Rail that wont warp or melt !
Twin tyres for most sedans, trikes and motorcycle sidecars
http://niche.iinet.net.au