[Diy_efi] Nissan engine

Bobby Yates Emory liberty1
Thu Jun 1 16:06:16 UTC 2006

Ian,

Restart procedure sounds about right, but I would use Marvel Mystery Oil.
Put a couple of tablespoons down each cylinder.  Let sit over night (or a
day or two).  Put another tablespoon down each cylinder.  Turn engine over a
few rounds with a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt (sparks plugs out and
ignition off).  With the plugs still out, turn over a few times with the
starter (this is to get all the excess oil out of the cylinders).   Then
install plugs and try to start up.

(Caution - I have heard that electronic ignitions can be damaged by running
the engine with one or more wires off the plugs.  So it may be worth your
while to rig up a way to "hit" the starter, without turning on the
ignition.  I don't remember how the starter solenoid worked on my 240Z, but
usually there is a small stud on the solenoid which you can put 12 V to and
it kicks in the solenoid which connects power and engages the starter
drive.   I am not certain about this concern - I could be worrying
unnecessarily. Anyone know for 280Z?)

Good luck,
Bobby

On 6/1/06, Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> Hey there.
>
> Well, I've taken on another project (despite my daily driver being in
> such bad shape - I must be mad).
>
> I've acquired a Datsun 280 ZX as a restoration project.
>
> Questions about the engine (which I havent seen yet).
>
> 1) Is it a Bosch L-Jet as I've seen mentioned on some sites ?
> 2) Can the injection system be replaced with something more modern (I
> know the existing one is in bad shape) like Megasquirt? Has this 'been
> done' on this engine ?
> 3) I know the engine can be turbo'd so any solution I add now I would
> like to be able to use after adding the turbo.
> 4) I have zero experience of petrols - this one has been standing for 6
> years so I assume its going to need some TLC to get it running again. A
> friend has said SOP is to pull the plugs and pour a little oil in each
> cylinder then turn by hand before cranking, then reinserting plugs, then
> going for a start. That seems sensible - but is it enough ?
>
> any and all advice would be appreciated.

Toward freedom,

Bobby Yates Emory