[Bulk] Re: [Diy_efi] Nissan engine

Jason M. galaxiecustom500
Thu Jun 1 17:54:06 UTC 2006

You will also want to change the oil and filter.  This will make sure
anything that might have fallen/crawled into the pan over the years is out
and that you have a good filter that won't burst under pressure.

After you run it for a little while you'll want to change the oil and filter
again.

Of course this is assuming you care about the engine and want it to last as
long as possible without actually taking the engine apart for cleaning and
replacement of worn items.

btw, I'll be getting an engine that has sat for 3 years running this summer.
Pulled the intake and oil pan to see the general condition.  Found the valve
stems had a fair amount of rust on them.  To avoid a valve sticking or
damaging a valve guide I've spent $60 on a gasket set so the whole thing can
be torn apart and cleaned up.  Much cheaper then possibly spending $500 to
have the heads rebuilt or $600 on a set of pistons if a ring breaks and
damages a piston or possibly a bore.

Engine I'm working on is a 1976 8.2L cadillac.

And yes it would be a good idea to disconnect the power lead to the coil so
the ignition can't fire if you just want to spin the engine with the
starter.  Although if you are at the point where you are spinning the engine
with the starter you should go ahead and start the engine so it can build
oil pressure quickly.  Ideally you'd find a way to spin the oil pump drive
(not possible on many newer engines don't know about yours) to circulate oil
before even turning the engine.  Second best is to remove a rocker arm
cover, cam cover or intake, whatever gains you the best access to the
internals of the engine and pour oil on everything.  Some of which will
hopefully fall on top of the crank, rods, etc... to get some lubrication
there before things are moving.