[Diy_efi] O2 says rich, car runs lean..

Gary Spooner automotivelectronics
Mon Jun 12 06:28:38 UTC 2006

Hello.

Regarding narrow band 02's I have to disagree with the opinion about narrow
band inabilities to provide and accurate indication of 02 content. This
sensor has proven over the years to maintain 02 content within emission
specs where the algorithm is not biased to look for an alternate backup if
closed loop info fails. Narrow band sensors are capable of millisecond
response and range even to the point of indicating incomplete combustion
from a cylinder or cylinders if observed on a scope with resolution 200m/sec
and .25Mhz.

Tuning accompanying the use of a scanner to indicate 02 voltage,
interrogator values and long term conditions, using the factory computer,
have found tuning to be very easy and let the computer scrub the converter
even at idle speed. Factory constants have to be changed but the result of
the adjustments is impressive. I have setup numerous boats and even tailored
a rat?s nest of mismatched parts creating algorithms that work. Don't jump
on the wide band wagon (lol) yet. Narrow works well to...

Gary/RPM Research
rpm-research.com