[Diy_efi] O2 says rich, car runs lean..

Michael Richards michael
Mon Jun 12 14:44:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 02:28:38 -0400, Gary Spooner wrote...

The narrowband thing is not really an opinion, it's based on scientific
fact. Narrowband sensors are designed to discriminate between richer
than 14.7 and leaner than 14.7. Nothing more. You can get a vague idea
of the actual AFR is by looking at the actual output away from the
switching point but it is by no means accurate.

OEMs have been using narrowband sensors for years because it is in a
fixed and tested location and since the tuning is fixed the temps are
also predictable. In the original poster's case we're dealing with a
modified engine producing more than stock output numbers. Very difficult
to predict the temps of that sensor and the setup is outside the OEM's
designed application.

-Michael