[Diy_efi] O2 says rich, car runs lean.

Gary gas-
Mon Jun 12 23:01:07 UTC 2006

Going Open Loop at WOT has little to do with the accuracy of the
OEM NB O2 sensor. The purpose of the OEM sensor is to send
feedback to the P(or E)CM during Closed Loop operation, letting
it know whether the mixture is either lean of or rich of stoich or
IOW, ~14.7. Therefore, the function of OEM sensor is that of a
switch. That switching is performed around stoich. The sensor is
constantly dithering from rich to lean of stoich with the PCM fuel
command constantly adding and then removing fuel. There are
OEM calibrations that are designed to operate in 100% CL mode.
This impies regardless of the mode of operation,  it is maintaining
~14.7 AFR. One such vehicle is a new turbocharged setup that
Chrysler markets.

BTW, the voltage OEM NBO2s send back to the PCM has been
used to tune the AFR for performance use. It should be understood
however, it is not a very reliably accurate means to verify AFR. I
want to stress reliable here. The further from stoich the AFR strays,
the more temperature sensitive they become, and the more impact
temp will have on their accuracy. To consider them accurate without
any knowledge of when they might be, makes any accuracy they
may posess, of questionable value. Depending on the temp the sensor
is exposed to, the AFR accuracy can vary easily by over a full #. In
addition, the further from stoich NBO2s venture, the more impact
very slight voltage changes will have on actual AFR, thus giving the
same effect as lowering resolution and dulling sensitivity.

GAS