[Diy_efi] Re: Reversing EPROM decryption board

Don Paauw dpaauw
Wed Jun 14 18:52:29 UTC 2006

You will need to play with the NVRAM's /CS.  If there is a separate /RD line,
tie that high and try tying /CS low (and pull it high before shutting down to
prevent spuriuous writes).  If that doesn't work, you can try tying /CS and /W
together but it would be best to poke around looking for another signal that
would correspond to the EPROM /CS, maybe one of the PEEL inputs.
It's usually better to have /WR framed by all the other signals.
If the NVRAM has one RD/WR line rather than separate /RD /WR lines,
tie RD/WR low and tie /CS to /OE.
If the NVRAM has any /OE input, tie that high to prevent bus contentions.
These are general rules-of-thumb.  Let me know your NVRAM part number and
an URL for the data sheet, if you have that.

-- Don

At 12:17 PM 6/14/06 +0100, you wrote:
>Don,
>
>  just checked: /CS is kept low all the time, /OE is the only one
moving... Whenever the EPROM area is accessed, the /OE goes low... Does it
change something? I mean, as long as NVRAM's /W is connected to the /OE, it
should be fine.. or?

>  Unfortunatelly, I am not able to control the address lines, I was
controlling them only by software...

>  The rest is clear... I will make the board over weekend and let you know
how it went. Hopefully I won't fry the ECU :)).