[Diy_efi] Oxygen sensors and superchargers

Curtis Richards cwrxr
Fri Jun 30 17:29:37 UTC 2006

Happy Fourth to one and all,

Can anyone give give me some pointers on mounting O2 sensors on
supercharged engines?  When I installed Megasquirt 'n Spark on my
normally aspirated 1946 CJ2a ( L134 flathead engine ) I used 4 wideband
LSU O2 sensors and four type K thermocouples to tune the system.  The
L134 has siamesed intake ports and separate exhaust ports ( 1930's high
tech? ).  I hooked everything to a laptop and used the data to gradually
lean out the engine until optimum all the while using the EGT and fuel
air ratio to monitor the individual cylinders.  By staggering the
injector pulses and varying the pulse timing I was able to maintain
control of the siamesed ports tendency to starve fuel to one port.

I am now installing a 'belt drive turbo'  or Gator supercharger system
on my Jeep and before I burn holes in the pistons I thought I'd ask:

Will this approach work with a supercharged engine?
Will the the extra heat load mess up placement of the O2 sensors?
Should I move the O2 sensors to a cooler area of the header tubes and go
with self heating sensors?

Or am I worrying over trifles?

TIA  for any help you can give me!

--
Curtis W Richards

--
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."

-- Benjamin Franklin (letter to Benjamin Vaughn, 14 March 1783)