[Diy_efi] Jetronic - RFI

Lee M. Lemoine llemoine
Sun Mar 5 05:24:11 UTC 2006

Ford used the "one line to the rear" method of brake modulation.  There was
a single brake line which ran to the top of the axle on my '89 Bronco 2
XLT...  from there it went down in a braided steel hose (rubber covered)
into a splitter with two sections of hard pipe to each of the wheels.  Each
of the front was on its own circuit.  May be worth looking into.  I know
most of the later-on GM stuff was 4 channel ABS (4 wheel independant)...

I may still have one of these units laying in my garage (4 channel) if your
interested.  It's off of a '93 Chevy Cavalier.  I should also mention that
all GM ABS cars use different pitch and thread fittings on each of their
connectors, so you will have to run all new lines, and flare them yourself
(32 degree double flare i'm remembering correctly).  Good luck!  (BTW: i
also have the ECM and pinouts for wiring for this unit..  I discarded the
wiring harness, but it can be had for little to nothing at any junkyard with
an 91-94 j-body in it...

-- Lee

On 3/4/06, Don Sauman <donsauman at cythera.net> wrote:

> I had been thinking of a rear axle off a tone wheel equipped rear axle
> off a Chevy light truck and use the modulator only the back brake line
> in place of the proportioning valve.
>
> As an interim I am fitting a Summit Racing variable proportioning valve
> to stop rear wheel lockup under heavy braking when lightly loaded. This
> is on a 1983 Jeep Wagoneer.
>
> Cheers
> Don
>
> WSCowell at aol.com wrote:
>
> > In a message dated 04/03/2006 10:22:47 GMT Standard Time,
> > spyro at f2s.com writes:
> >

> >     whats involved in retrofitting ABS to a vehicle ? Does anyone make
> >     kits?
> >

> > Hoo boy, where shall we start?
> >
> > Modify the wheel hubs to carry suitable reluctor rings, modify hub
> > carriers to hold sensors, modify the hydraulic pipework from the
> > master cylinder so as to include the pump piping, accumulator and
> > valve block, design & fit bracket for hydraulic pump for the high
> > pressure lines, replace pedal box and master cylinder depending on
> > whose system you propose to use, install all wiring and the ABS
> > controller itself, integrate its self-test with the rest of the
> > vehicle's electronics....
> >
> > In short it's do-able, but definitely not trivial!  :-)
> > I think if you have to ask that particular question, don't attempt the
> > job, because of the danger involved in implementing a project that you
> > don't understand from top to bottom.
> >
> > I'd be very surprised if anyone made kits, certainly I've never seen
> > anything in UK.
> >
> > Will C

> --
> Don Sauman
> 35 Asteroid Way
> Carlisle 6101
> Western Australia
>
> P: 08 9361 0337
> F: 08 9361 0581
> M: 0427 389 547 CDMA
> M: 0413 746 695 GSM

Sincerely,

Lee M. Lemoine
http://www.turbochargedsoul.com/
'06 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - 250/250 AWD 5EAT
'93 Chevy Cavalier Z24 Convertible - 300/330 FWD 5MT (Mclaren Turbo!)